Position: Research Scientist
Institution: the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Application closes at: Jul 4th, 2022 13:03
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Founded in 1964 by the late Nobel Laureate Abdus Salam and located in Trieste (Italy), the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) seeks to accomplish its mandate by providing scientists from developing countries with the continuing education and skills that they need to enjoy long and productive careers.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Coordinator (Programmes and Advancement), the incumbent will develop and support the activities of the Joint ICTP and University of Trieste Master of Advanced Studies in Medical Physics (Master's) Programme, participate in the selection of applicants, teach courses in medical physics and related fields, undertake research projects, provide scientific supervision to students and research fellows and organize/participate in the scientific outreach and educational activities of the Section. Essential responsibilities include:
• Establish and undertake research in medical physics or related fields. Develop and implement research projects related to medical physics in collaboration with postdoctoral fellows, ICTP Associates, Sandwich Training Educational Programme (STEP) fellows, visitors and students, and report on the results of research at international meetings.
• Collaborate in research with the University of Trieste, the other Universities, University Hospitals, research laboratories and oncology centres of the network that collaborate in the professional training of the Master's students.
• Apply for and manage individual research grants.
Education and Training:
• Act as administrator of the Master's programme. Carry out teaching and tutoring as part of the programme and supervise Master's theses.
• Develop the ICTP Medical Physics Moodle platform and explore its use as a distance-learning platform for the support of medical physics educational programmes, in particular in low and middle income (LMI) countries.
• Liaise with the hospitals hosting the Master's students, prepare negotiations between ICTP and the hospitals and locate more hospitals in order to broaden the possible placement options for the 2nd year students.
• Provide scientific supervision to Master's and PhD students, either from Italian universities or through one of the ICTP PhD or Master's programmes.
• Collaborate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on the development and implementation of educational and training activities in medical physics and related fields.
• Participate in the selection of applicants for ICTP programmes.
• Teach in the international programmes of the ICTP, both those held at ICTP and elsewhere.
Scientific Organisation and Outreach:
• Establish wide collaboration with scientists and professional organisations from all around the world, in particular from LMI countries.
• Identify their scientific needs and challenges in order to formulate appropriate recommendations for inclusion in ICTP programmes.
• Organise ICTP outreach activities in medical physics or related fields, in particular Joint IAEA/ICTP activities.
• Participate in the programmes of ICTP partner institutes. COMPETENCIES
A successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following competencies:
Accountability Communication Teamwork Innovation Results focus Planning and organizing Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
For detailed information please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework (https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/Competency%20Framework_E.pdf)
EDUCATION Advanced University degree (PhD or equivalent) in Physics or Medical Physics, or other related fields. WORK EXPERIENCE Minimum of four (4) years of hospital-based clinical medical physics practice.
Research experience in physics or medical physics, evidenced through publications.
Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
Ability to collaborate effectively within a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Ability to establish and maintain partnerships and to ensure a high-level coordination and cooperation with internal and external stakeholders Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesize and analyse information from various sources.
Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
Experience in international collaboration, in particular educational and training activities in LMI countries. Experience in supervising and coordinating an educational programme in medical physics.
Experience in the design, implementation and management of scientific projects.
Experience in the development and coordination of scientific training programmes.
Knowledge of Italian.
Knowledge of another official UNESCO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. No modifications can be made to the application submitted. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
Candidates must use the UNESCO's online application system which is accessible through the following links:
For current UNESCO fixed-term staff members: UNESCO Intranet > Tools > HR Apps > Careers. If you are working remotely, you should connect to Careers portal through connect.unesco.org
For all other candidates: https://careers.unesco.org
For information: Personnel Office, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Strada Costiera, 11, 34151 Trieste, Italy.
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +39-040-2240-595/596/695