European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics
The European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP) was founded in May 1980 in London to serve as an umbrella organisation for all NMOs (National Member Organisations). The current membership covers 34 national organisations which together represent more than 8100 medical physicists and clinical engineers working in the field of medical physics.
- To foster and coordinate the activities of NMOs, collaborating with national and international organisations.
- To encourage exchange and dissemination of professional and scientific information, and exchange of medical physicists between countries.
- To develop guidelines for education and training programmes.
- To make recommendations on the responsibilities, organisational relationships and roles of medical physicists.
- To encourage the formation of NMOs where they do not exist.
- To work for Europe-wide recognition of medical physics as a regulated profession in all member states as well as medical physics as a healthcare profession.
The mission of EFOMP is:
- to harmonize and advance medical physics both in its professional clinical and scientific expression throughout Europe,
- to strengthen and make more effective the activities of the NMOs by bringing about and maintaining systematic exchange of professional and scientific information, by the formulation of common policies, and by promoting education and training programmes.
Accomplishment of the Mission
The objectives for accomplishing the mission are:
- fostering and coordinating the activities of NMOs in the field of medical physics and collaborating, where appropriate ,with national and international organisations, particliarly the International Organisation for Medical Physics;
- encouraging exchanges between the NMOs and disseminating professional and scientific information through publications and meetings;
- encouraging scholarship and the exchange of medical physicists between countries;
- proposing guidelines for education and training programmes including cooperation with institutions active in this field;
- making recommendations on the appropriate general responsibilities, organisational relationships and roles of workers in the field of medical physics;
- encouraging the formation of NMOs where such organisations do not exist.
The moto developed and used by EFOMP to underline the important work of medical physics societies in healthcare is Applying physics to healthcare for the benefit of patients, staff and public.